So your flat roof is bumpy, scarred, and ponding water. And you’re not sure what to do about it. You might be tempted to get up on the roof and try to fix it yourself, but that’s not a good idea. Flat roofs can be tricky, and if you don’t know what you’re doing, you could end up making the problem worse.
You don’t want the roofer? You want to fix it all by yourself. We get it. Just be very careful and take your time. Do not attempt this during winter or if there is any chance of rain or snow in the forecast.
Flat roof repair can be a real pain. Especially if you don’t know what you’re doing. Which, let’s be honest, most people don’t. Let’s first look at some of the most common problems that flat roofs experience. So before you start any repairs, ensure you know what specific problems your roof is experiencing.
Flat Roofs and Some Most Common Problems:
A flat roof is a roof that has little to no pitch or slope. This means water and snow can pool on the roof’s surface, leading to leaks and other problems. Flat roofs are more common in commercial roofs building but can also be found in some homes.
While flat roofs may seem more trouble than they’re worth, they have some advantages. For one, they’re easier to install than pitched roofs. They also tend to be cheaper and energy efficient since there’s less material involved. However, the trade-off is that they require more maintenance and are more prone to leaking.
- Water Ponding: If water cannot properly drain off the roof, it can cause extensive damage over time.
- Leaks: A common problem with flat roofs is that they are more susceptible to leaks than pitched roofs.
- Wind Damage: Some Flat roofs can be damaged easily by high winds.
- UV Damage: The sun’s UV rays can cause extensive damage to flat roofs.
- Punctures/splits/tears: Flat roofs are more vulnerable to punctures, splits, and tears than pitched roofs.
- Natural thermal/structural movement: Flat roofs can be damaged by the building’s natural thermal and structural movements.
- Debris: Debris can easily damage a flat roof.
- Blistering: Blistering can occur when water or moisture gets trapped under the roofing membrane.
- Shrinkage: Roofing materials can shrink over time, which can cause cracks in the roof surface.
- Biological growth: Mold and algae can grow on flat roofs if not properly maintained.
The Repair Process:
- First, identify the source of the problem from the above list. This is usually pretty easy for most cases; just look for areas where water is pooled on your roof. Once you’ve found the source of the leak, mark it with a piece of chalk so you’ll be able to find it easily later on.
- Next, take a close look at the area around the leak. Are there any cracks or holes that need to be filled? If so, use a sealant or roofing cement material to fill them in.
- Once you’ve repaired any damage, it’s time to patch the leak. You can apply a layer of roofing tar or asphalt shingles over the area. Be sure to smooth it out, so there are no bumps or unevenness.
- Finally, apply a layer of gravel or sand over the patched area. This will help protect your repair job from weather damage and make it less visible.
That’s not all!
Some Tips for Flat Roof Repair Minneapolis:
- Schedule a time for yourself when the sun isn’t shining directly on the roof. This will make it easier to spot any leaks.
- Wear rubber-soled shoes to avoid slipping.
- Use caution when climbing onto the roof, and be sure to have someone hold the ladder steady while you’re up there.
- Inspect the area around any vents or chimneys, as these are common sources of leaks.
- Once you’ve found the leak, clean off any debris around it so you can properly patch it.
- Make sure that you have the right tools for the job.
- Fix one section of the roof at a time.
If you’re a business or homeowner in Minneapolis with a flat roof, you know that repair and maintenance can be challenging. If you have questions about flat roof systems in Minneapolis, contact our office for more information. We’re always happy to help!
Gula Construction for Flat Roof Repair:
If you live in Minneapolis, there’s no need to worry; there are plenty of qualified roofers who can help you get your roof fixed quickly and efficiently. Gula Construction is one of the few that specialize in providing the best flat roofing services in the twin cities of Minnesota.
So what should you expect from a flat roof repair?
First, our roofer will identify the source of the leak and fix it. They may also need to replace some of the roofing material, depending on how bad the damage is.
Repairing a flat roof usually takes a few hours, and the cost will vary depending on your roof’s size and the damage. However, getting your roof fixed before it gets any worse is worth it.
If you previously got the roofing from certified roofing contractors in Minneapolis, mn. They may have given you some sort of warranty on materials and labor. If the roof is still under warranty, give them a call! The company may send someone to fix it for you at no cost.
Common Mistakes People Make When Repairing Existing Roof:
- Not fixing the problem as soon as they notice it can worsen the damage.
- Trying to repair the roof on their own without any professional help.
- Not regularly maintaining and cleaning the roof.
- Hiring an unqualified or inexperienced roofer to do the job.
- Trying to save money by using cheap materials.
- Forgetting about the warranty. If you have a roof that’s still under warranty, don’t try to fix it yourself!
- Ignoring the problem and hoping it will go away independently, which it won’t.
To avoid the above mistakes, hire a qualified and experienced roofer like Gula Construction to handle your flat roof installation or repair.
We’ll ensure the job is done right so you can have peace of mind.
Tips for preventing flat roof problems in the future:
- Get your roof inspected and cleaned regularly.
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clean and debris-free.
- Trim any trees or branches that are close to your roof.
- Be sure to hire a qualified and experienced roofer for repairs or maintenance needs.
- Keep an eye on cracks or damage on your roof, and take care of them as soon as possible.
- Have EPDM Roofing with a waterproof rubber coating every few years.
- Install a good quality gutter system to help keep your gutters clear of leaves and debris.
- Regularly sweep leaves and dirt off the roof – this will help prevent any build-up that could lead to leaks or other problems down the road.
- Consider roof replacement when the roof age extends.
Following these tips can help prevent your new roof problems before they start.
Flat roofs are notorious for leaking and being difficult to keep in good condition. It’s a bit more difficult to repair than pitched roofs, but with some know-how and elbow grease, it can be done!
Feel free to contact our roofing experts at Gula Construction if you have questions or need assistance with your roof repair project in Minneapolis. Our Project Managers are always happy to help!
We hope this quick guide helped you understand the basics of flat roof repair.
Stay tuned for more helpful tips and tricks from the Gula Construction team!
Our Consultation Is Free!
Let us transform your home or office. An office remodel in St. Paul. A home addition in Minneapolis. In either case, Gula Construction is here to make your vision a reality. Our expert team works together to build great spaces for our great customers.